YOUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Dr. Ronald Haines
Evergreen Family Dentistry
Perks Coffee House
Power’s Medical Aesthetics
Chamber of CommerceLiaison
City Council Appointee
Alderman Searle Turton
Where to from here
The Board of Director’s main role is to gauge stakeholder interest and feedback on revitalization within a defined geographic area that represents city centre. With assistance from the City, the Board will develop an implementation strategy addressing the rationale for forming a Business Improvement Area (BIA) including potential benefits for the area and objectives for future improvements. Although support of 25% of business members within the defined area was required to form the BIA, over 50% agreed to creating a BIA, at which time a recommendation was taken to City Council to approve establishment of the BIA. The main objectives of the BIA will include promoting the city centre and the businesses, encouraging a pedestrian friendly environment, creating a positive brand, and enhancing the attractiveness of the streetscape. Promotional activities may include special events and ongoing advertising programs which aim to keep the City Centre foremost in the public’s mind as an attractive, pleasant place to shop, to be entertained, to work and to live.
The role of a BIA
A BIA is a Business Improvement Area. In June 1983, the Province of Alberta passed legislation that allows municipalities to establish Business Improvement Areas.
A BIA is a non-profit association of business owners that join together to promote and improve the economic vitality of their business district. A BIA can be used to enhance streetscape improvements, carry out joint promotions and festivals, and promote economic development initiatives.
A BIA organization receives funding through a special levy that is added to each business tax assessment.
Worldwide there are approximately 1,200 business improvement areas with approximately 348 of them in Canada.
There are currently 33 Business Improvement Areas in Alberta.
What are the benefits of a BIA?
A Business Improvement Area:
- Ensures ongoing cooperation among the members of the business community.
- Allows businesses to collectively solve problems.
- Improves lines of communication between the business community, municipal staff and City Council.
- Cost savings to the business members through promotional activities and integration of capital funding.
- A dedicated source of revenue for provision of services and physical improvements.
- Collectively promotes a welcoming, family-friendly City Centre offering year round activity, festivals, events, shopping, dining and inviting green, open and public spaces with revitalized buildings and enhanced storefronts in a walkable environment.